I’m not sure why it’s taken me until now (probably something to do with all that other work!), but I’ve just finished implementing the most requested feature from the initial beta test of iShowU Studio – selection of partial screen areas.
Simply put, this new feature lets you create iShowU Studio projects from a sub-region of the screen. That is, a “smaller bit” ™.
I’ve taken all the best bits from both iShowU v1, iShowU HD and Studio and wrapped them all up into a single selection interface. You can:
- Select by drawing a rectangle (like in HD)
- Move the selection rectangle by dragging it about or resizing it (v1 & HD)
- Still select the full screen (easily! … ala Studio)
- Move it using keyboard arrow keys (*new!* taa-daaaa).
- Resize it using keyboard arrow keys (just hold SHIFT at the same time)
- Select any window under the mouse (like in HD… but in Studio, it’s not a mode… just press option and ta-daaaa, done).
I’m actually pretty excited about this one. It brings new flexibility and I think I’ve managed to make it both blend with the existing ethos of Studio and yet present as a really simple to use set of functions. Yay.
Here’s a demo of me playing around selecting different areas on the retina. The demo doesn’t do it justice tho. You have to have a play with it to see just how easy it is to select whatever area you want now.