iShowU Instant has audio filters that can help make your microphone sound better. This article provides a simple set of steps you can follow to setup those filters. To learn more, read about dynamics, multi band compressors and equalizers.
For all the settings below, you’ll need a microphone plugged in to your Mac, and you’ll need to setup iShowU Instant so that it is recording that microphone.
Summary: Used to limit noise and clip loudness from the mic.
- Enable the dynamics filter and open up the UI by pressing the Configure button.
- Speak normally. Set the threshold so that you have only a very small amount of red compression noticeable.
- Don’t speak. Move the threshold up until it’s just above near the room noise level.
- Now adjust the headroom so that you get some compression when you speak loudly. If you’ve good dynamic range on the mic, you probably want to have less headroom (more limiting).
Very similar to the Dynamics filter above, but has four bands. It lets you apply compression to specific frequency bands, rather than over the whole thing. I recommend you check out the second audio article to learn more.
Summary: Used to boost or reduce levels, in order to get a more balanced sound.
This example adds a little more depth/boominess into the lower end of the spectrum. As mentioned in Part 3, you really do need to adjust for your own room, voice and mic combination, but this’ll get you on the right track.
- Enable the Equalizer and open up the UI by pressing the Configure button.
- Change the EQ to show 10 bands.
- Drop 32hz down to zero and increase 128 and 256 to +3db.
This has been a very quick look at the audio filters in iShowU Instant, providing some settings that should improve audio quality in most cases. For a more in-depth discussion, see the following articles:
- Dynamics – https://blog.shinywhitebox.com/better-audio-ishowu-instant-part-1-dynamics/
- Multi band compression – https://blog.shinywhitebox.com/better-audio-ishowu-instant-via-audio-filters-part-2-compressor/
- Equalisation – https://blog.shinywhitebox.com/better-audio-ishowu-instant-part-3-equalization/